January 1, 2012
Health Tip: Minimize Nightmares
Help foster sweet dreams
(HealthDay News) -- While parents can't prevent nightmares altogether, they can take steps to help foster sweet dreams.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions:
- Keep a consistent bedtime and waking schedule.
- Implement a calm, quiet, relaxing and consistent bedtime routine -- perhaps including a bath, book and some cuddle time.
- Make sure your child's bed is comfortable and cozy. Allow a favorite stuffed animal or blanket in bed.
- Don't let your child watch any frightening television shows before bed.
- Explain to your child that nightmares are only dreams, and that he or she can't be hurt during a nightmare.