July 10, 2008
Health Tip: Parenting Twins
Help each establish a unique identity
(HealthDay News) -- Taking care of a newborn baby is demanding and exhausting enough, but parenting twins is a double dose of work.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to make parenting twins a bit easier:
- Find other parents of twins to talk with, or join a group for parents of twins.
- Read books and magazines about taking care of twins.
- Know that you will be tired. Take every opportunity to rest.
- It's normal to feel that taking care of twins is too much to manage. But remind yourself that you'll eventually work it all out.
- Spend time alone with each twin to help each establish a unique identity.
- Speak and read regularly to each child. This may help prevent the delay in language development that sometimes affects twins.