(HealthDayNews) -- Althought house and garden plants can add beauty to your home, some can be dangerous.
House plants are a leading cause of poisoning among children, says a University of Utah Health Sciences Center article. It offers suggestions on how to prevent plant poisonings:
- Never eat any part of an unknown plant or mushroom. Teach your children that they should never put leaves, stems, bark, seeds, nuts or berries in their mouth.
- Make sure that poisonous house plants are kept out of the reach of young children. Also, store garden bulbs and seeds out of children's sight.
- Don't assume that a plant is safe just because birds and animals eat it.
- Learn to identify poisonous plants in your home, yard, and neighborhood. If you can't find information about a plant in a book, take it to your local garden center for identification. Knowing the names of the poisonous plants in and around your home may be vital if you have to call a poison control center.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers has a toll-free hotline to answer any questions or make referrals in case of an emergency: 1-800-222-1222.