(HealthDayNews) -- As we prepare to rid our homes of the post-holiday crud left by relatives and friends, the U.S. Environmental Protection agency warns of the risks of using common household cleaning products around young children and pets.
The agency offers these suggestions:
- Always store household chemicals -- including chlorine bleach and pesticides -- out of children's reach, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Read the label. Cleaners, pesticides and other chemicals can be dangerous or ineffective if too much or too little is used.
- If you are using a cleaner and are interrupted, reclose the container and put it out of your child's reach. Always use household products in child-resistant packaging.