December 12, 2012
Health Tip: Shopping for Children's Shoes
Young feet can grow quickly
(HealthDay News) -- When shopping for a young child's shoes, it's important to consider more than just how cute the miniature footwear is.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these tips for shoe-shopping parents:
- Your child's feet may grow quickly, and sock and shoe sizes can change rapidly.
- Poorly fitted shoes can cause irritation and pain, so always measure the foot before a shoe purchase and make sure shoes feel comfortable.
- Don't share shoes or have your child wear secondhand shoes.
- Once your child begins wearing the shoes, frequently inspect the heels, which often wear most quickly. Uneven wear may indicate a foot problem.
- Let your child participate in shoe shopping.
- Always try on shoes while wearing socks or tights.
- If feet are different sizes, buy the size that fits the larger foot.