September 8, 2010
Health Tip: Stay Safe Around the School Bus
Teach kids safety tips
(HealthDay News) -- Teaching children to take precautions while waiting for, entering and exiting a school bus can help keep them safe.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Wait for the bus far away from traffic. Stay on the sidewalk, and pay attention to passing cars.
- Use the handrail while entering and exiting the bus.
- Don't approach the bus until it has completely stopped, and the door is open.
- Allow at least 10 feet clearance if you cross the street in front of the bus. Wait for the driver to tell you that it's safe to cross.
- Make sure the driver can see where you are after you've left the vehicle.
- Stay well away from the bus's rear wheels.