October 23, 2012
Health Tip: Stay Safe This Halloween
Avoid trick-or-treating hazards
(HealthDay News) -- When kids are on the prowl for candy this Halloween, make sure the night is filled with treats, not trauma.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these trick-or-treating safety tips:
- Make sure any costume accessories -- such as knives and swords -- are flexible, short and soft.
- Never let children trick or treat alone.
- Carry a flashlight, put reflective tape on all costumes and don't allow the kids to run. Take care when crossing the street.
- Limit candy gathering to a reasonable amount. Carefully inspect candy for choking hazards and tampering before letting your children dig in.
- Make sure costumes and masks fit well to avoid falls.
- Avoid walking near luminaries or lit candles, and make sure costumes are flame-resistant.