(HealthDay News) -- Children are most often exposed to lead in the form of dust from floors, windowsills, paint and dirt. Lead was frequently used in paints and home building materials before 1978.
Lead poisoning can lead to learning disabilities, behavioral issues, affected speech and hearing, and even coma or death.
Here are some symptoms to watch for, courtesy of the Coalition to End Childhood Lead Poisoning:
- Sleeping too much.
- Stomach pains or cramps.
- Difficulty with motor skills and balance.
If you suspect your child may have been exposed to lead poisoning, contact your doctor.