(HealthDayNews) -- If your child is into body piercing and is talking about having his or her tongue pierced, make sure he or she knows the risks.
According to the University of Manitoba, they include:
- The transmission of diseases such as hepatitis, HIV, herpes simplex virus, and tetanus.
- Prolonged bleeding if blood vessels are punctured.
- Blockage of the airway if the tongue swells.
- Loss of taste, mobility, and numbness of the tongue.
- Constant irritation to the oral tissues.
- Difficulty with chewing, speech and swallowing.