Health Tips: Safe Skateboarding
How to avoid injuries
(HealthDayNews) -- Each year, more than 15,600 people in the United States need emergency room treatment for skateboarding injuries such as fractures and sprains, says the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
More alarming, some skateboarders are killed in collisions with vehicles or die as the result of falls.
Rocks and other irregularities in riding surfaces account for more than half of skateboarding injuries caused by falls.
Here is some skateboarding safety advice from the National Safety Council:
- Always do a safety check on your board before you ride.
- Wear proper safety gear.
- Never ride on the street, and obey all laws.
- Never ride in crowds of non-skaters.
- Only one person at a time on a skateboard.
- Don't hitch rides from cars or bicycles.
- Learn to fall. Practice on grass or other soft surfaces.
- Complicated tricks and maneuvers require lots of practice in a designated area.