October 1, 2003
A safety checklist for kids
(HealthDayNews) -- If you need to leave your child at home alone, Salem Hospital in Oregon advises you draw up a safety checklist.
Tell your child to:
- Avoid talking to strangers on your way home.
- Keep the house keys out of sight.
- Don't go inside if something about the home looks different.
- Lock the door after arriving inside.
- Call mom or dad when you get home.
- Never tell a caller you're at home alone.
- Have a list of phone numbers handy to use if you're scared or need help.