(HealthDayNews) -- The opening of outdoor pools is a sure sign of warmer weather. But before you haul the tarpaulin off your pool, review these rules from the U.S. National Safety Council:
- Your pool should be surrounded by at least a 5-foot-high childproof fence with latching gates, and a pool alarm for extra protection.
- Never leave kids unattended around a pool.
- Enroll your kids in swim classes when they're three or four years old.
- Teach water safety habits, such as no running, pushing or dunking.
- Use Coast Guard-approved life jackets to keep kids afloat.
- Get certified in infant and child CPR.
- Don't let your kids jump or dive into the shallow end of the pool. Water must be at least five feet deep for safe diving.