Toxic Trouble

Emergency action for ingested poisons

(HealthDayNews) -- If your curious toddler drinks a cleansing detergent or other hazardous liquid, your immediate action is vital.

According to the University of California, Davis, Health System, first give your child water -- only water -- to drink and then call the poison center or doctor.

Antidote labels on products may be outdated and incorrect. Do not give salt, vinegar, or citrus fruit juices. Keep a one-ounce bottle of syrup of Ipecac for each child in the home but only use it on the advice of the poison center or other medical establishment.

Consumer News