THURSDAY, Feb. 17, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- Masks will no longer be required for fully vaccinated visitors at Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida as of Thursday, Walt Disney Co. announced.
The company, which does not require proof of vaccination to get into its parks, said the decision was based on "recent trends and regulatory guidance."
"We expect guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, including indoor attractions and theaters," a statement on the Disney World website said.
The company also said that people will still need to wear masks on shuttles, buses and other forms of "enclosed" transportation at its parks.
Both Disney World and Disneyland had mandated masks indoors for guests ages 2 and older since July 2021, when mask mandates were brought back as the Delta variant spread.
Disney's masking policy change comes as COVID-19 cases decline in many parts of the United States and as a number of large employers scrap mask mandates for vaccinated workers.
In related news, Universal Orlando also recently did away with its mask requirement, as did two large outdoor music festivals in California, Coachella and Stagecoach, CBS News reported.
In recent days, a number of states have moved to eliminate mask mandates, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is said to be considering an easing of mask recommendations. However, the agency still says masks should be used in public indoor settings in high-transmission settings, which includes most of the country.
Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for more on masks.
- New York State Lifts Indoor Mask Mandate - Consumer Health News ... ›
- Amazon, Walmart Lift Mask Mandates for Vaccinated Employees ... ›
- CDC Expected to Loosen Mask Guidance on Friday - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- Amazon, Walmart Lift Mask Mandates for Vaccinated Employees - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- NFL Drops All COVID Restrictions - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- New York City Drops Most COVID Restrictions - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- La ciudad de Nueva York elimina la mayoría de las restricciones por la COVID - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- Mask Mandates Worked in Schools Last Fall, CDC Study Finds - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›
- La obligatoriedad de las máscaras funcionó en las escuelas el otoño pasado, según un estudio de los CDC - Consumer Health News | HealthDay ›