(HealthDay News) -- Partners play an important role in helping moms prepare for pregnancy, and in helping to ensure that the pregnancy goes smoothly.
The womenshealth.gov website offers these suggestions:
- Partners should discuss when the time for pregnancy is right.
- Partners should be screened for sexually transmitted infections before pregnancy to prevent transmission.
- Quit smoking, manage stress, eat a healthy diet, avoid illegal drug use and limit alcohol use to reduce the risk of fertility problems.
- Partners should have a medical checkup to discuss personal health, medical history, family history and medication use.
- Anyone who works with toxic chemicals should avoid exposing moms-to-be.