(HealthDayNews) -- If you're scheduled for a vasectomy, you can expect some soreness for a few days after the procedure.
Norwalk Hospital in Connecticut offers these postoperative care tips:
- Apply ice packs, covered with a towel, on and off during the first eight hours.
- Rest in bed for at least one day and at home for a couple of days.
- You can shower the day after the procedure.
- Check with your doctor about wearing an athletic supporter.
- Keep the area clean and dry, and cover the incision with clean gauze for three days.
- A small amount of blood on the gauze pads is normal.
Call your doctor if you experience:
- Excessive bleeding or if you have to change gauze pads more than three times a day.
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills.
- Difficulty urinating.