(HealthDay News) -- While you're grieving because of a major life change or loss, you need time to cope.
Helpguide.org offers these suggestions to help manage grieving:
- Accept your loss, and deal with your feelings. Ignoring your emotions may lead to emotional and physical problems later.
- Be creative in expressing your emotions. Try writing in a journal, writing a letter or creating a photo album or scrapbook.
- Stay physically healthy with a good diet, plenty of sleep and regular exercise.
- Avoid using drugs and alcohol to deal with grief.
- Allow yourself to grieve on your own schedule. Express whatever emotions you feel -- cry, laugh or just be sad.
- Know that grief may re-emerge at certain times, such as on birthdays or holidays. Don't let it surprise you, and try to prepare for it as much as you can.