(HealthDay News) -- It's common for children to feel jealous of a new sibling, including acting out and misbehaving.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions for easing your child's transition to being an older sibling:
- Let your child help choose items for the new baby's bedroom, or a special gift to share with the baby.
- Spend some quality alone time with the elder child.
- Read books, role-play and talk about what it's like with a new baby in the house.
- Play up your child's new role as the "big" brother or sister.
- Take your child with you to either an ultrasound appointment or to visit the new baby at the hospital.
- Keep your child as involved as possible in preparing for the new baby.