Health Tip: Warning Signs of Mental Illness
When you should consider seeing a psychiatrist
(HealthDay News) -- Everyone has an off day, when they don't quite feel themselves or struggle with certain issues.
But when those issues take over most every aspect of your life, it may be time to enlist the help of a psychiatrist, the American Psychiatric Association says.
The Association offers this list of symptoms that may signal a need to be evaluated by a professional:
- Feeling anxious all the time, or fearing things that you know are irrational.
- Persistent feelings of sadness or depression.
- Significant mood swings or differences in your personality.
- Finding it hard to deal with daily issues and responsibilities.
- Experiencing delusions or unusual thoughts.
- Significant changes in your eating and sleeping habits.
- Turning to drugs or alcohol for relief.
- Feeling very angry or behaving violently.
- Thoughts of suicide. If you have them, seek immediate help.