(HealthDay News) - Young babies cry frequently, and it's often difficult for new parents to understand what they are fussing about.
The University of California, San Francisco Children's Hospital offers this checklist to help you figure out what's bothering your baby, and ways to pacify her:
- Make sure her diaper is clean.
- Try feeding her to see if she is hungry.
- Check her clothing to be sure she is dressed too warmly, is too cold, or is otherwise uncomfortable.
- Try gently rocking, swinging or walking your baby, or take her for a ride in the car to calm her.
- Gently stroke her head and face, and speak or sing softly to her.
- Play soft, soothing music.
- Try giving her a warm, soothing bath.
- Offer your baby a pacifier.