(HealthDay News) -- Many teens may be tempted to try smoking to fit in or look older, even if they understand the health ramifications.
Here are suggestions to ward your child away from cigarettes, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- Make your child feel more self-confident by focusing on things she does right, rather than just pointing out what she's done wrong.
- Get your child involved in sports that have strict rules against smoking.
- Begin talking to your child at a very young age about the dangers of smoking.
- Let her talk to you openly about smoking, without punishing or judging her.
- Make strict rules in your household about not smoking or bringing any tobacco product into the home.