The Pittsburgh Poison Center polled 500 people and reported their results in the journal Veterinary and Human Toxicology. Here's what they came up with:
- 54 percent threw the unused medications into the garbage.
- 35.4 percent flushed the drugs down the toilet or put them down the sink.
- 7.2 percent said they never disposed of unused drugs.
- 2 percent said they always took all their pills before the drugs expired.
- 1.4 percent said they returned unused prescriptions to their pharmacy for disposal.