What do you do with expired drugs?
(HealthDayNews) -- If you look in your medicine cabinet, you'll probably find leftover pills from the last time you were sick. According to the label, they've expired. What do you do with them?
The Pittsburgh Poison Center polled 500 people and reported their results in the journal Veterinary and Human Toxicology. Here's what they came up with:
- 54 percent threw the unused medications into the garbage.
- 35.4 percent flushed the drugs down the toilet or put them down the sink.
- 7.2 percent said they never disposed of unused drugs.
- 2 percent said they always took all their pills before the drugs expired.
- 1.4 percent said they returned unused prescriptions to their pharmacy for disposal.