Soul on Ice?
The right office mentality
As you enter your office today to immerse yourself in your job, take this poetic thought with you:
People shouldn't check their souls at the door every working day.
That's the word from David Whyte, a poet and the author of The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of Soul in Corporate America. According to the Physician Executive, Whyte recommends these rules for physician executives, which apply to people in most other fields as well:
- Figure out what you are meant to do as your life's calling.
- Know what you think and want.
- Share some of what you think at work, while being careful to not lose your job unless you choose to.
- Be a trustworthy listener and find one.
- Get yourself outside.
- Pay attention to your physical space.
- Develop some new hobbies or refresh old ones.