December 13, 2007
Health Tip: Dealing With Anxiety
Suggestions on how to limit worrying
(HealthDay News) - For some people, anxiety can be so severe that it is difficult to function.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for dealing with anxiety:
- It's OK to worry about some things -- but try not to let anxiety consume your day. Set aside a certain amount of time each day to consider all of the things that are concerning you, and come up with ways to deal with them. Once your time is up, try to move on.
- Try relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing and stretching.
- Get regular exercise and plenty of sleep. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Take care of issues that caused you to worry in the past.
- Talk to your doctor about your anxiety and concerns.