(HealthDay News) -- Your body image describes your appearance and the way you see yourself.
This isn't a superficial concept, warns Planned Parenthood. The group says a negative body image, if severe enough, can:
- Increase your risk of depression and anxiety.
- Trigger feelings of low self-esteem.
- Make it difficult for you to concentrate.
- Lead you to engage in risky behavior.
- Lead to social isolation.
- Spawn mental health issues, such as an eating disorder.
- Lead you to avoid a healthy lifestyle, including eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise.