Acquire the license to the best health content in the world
Contact Us

AAN: HPV Vaccine, Guillain-Barre Link Analyzed

Analysis of data does not show increased incidence of Guillain-Barre in vaccinated patients

FRIDAY, Feb. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Girls and women who receive the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine do not have an increased risk of developing Guillain-Barre syndrome, according to research that will be presented April 25-May 2 at the American Academy of Neurology's 61st Annual Meeting in Seattle.

Nizar Souayah, M.D., of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark, and colleagues analyzed 2006-2008 data from the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, which is a cooperative program of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The researchers found that 36 cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome were reported in girls and women aged 13 to 50 after vaccination with the HPV vaccine, Gardasil, and that symptom onset occurred within six weeks after vaccination in 75 percent of the patients. They also found that Gardasil was the only vaccine administered in 60 percent of the cases and that it was combined with other vaccines in the other 40 percent. The researchers determined an incidence of Guillain-Barre syndrome of about 7.0 per million in the post-Gardasil population compared to 4.0 to 10 per million in the general population.

"Our results show that Guillain-Barre is not occurring more often after HPV vaccination than it does in the general population," Souayah said in a statement. "However, the fact that most of these cases occurred within six weeks of vaccination does warrant careful monitoring for any additional cases and continued analysis."

Abstract
More Information

Physician's Briefing