Florida Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Naegleria fowleri can get into the brain when contaminated water enters the nose

docked boats

FRIDAY, Sept. 11, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- The parents of a 13-year-old boy in Florida who died from brain-eating amoeba want to warn others about the risk of the waterborne infection.

Tanner Lake Wall, 13, became ill after a family vacation last month at a North Florida campground that has a lake and water park. He was hospitalized and put on a ventilator, but taken off life support on Aug. 2 after he showed no brain activity, CBS News reported. The teen's parents hope their tragedy alerts other families to the dangers of this amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri.

"So parents are aware, maybe they weren't thinking about it because I can sure tell you we weren't," the teen's father, Travis Wall, said, CBS News reported. "We grew up swimming in ponds and creeks and stuff like that."

Typically found in warm fresh water, such as lakes, rivers, and springs, Naegleria fowleri can get into the brain when contaminated water enters the nose, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

CBS News Article

Physician’s Briefing Staff

Physician’s Briefing Staff

Published on September 11, 2020

Read this Next
About UsOur ProductsCustom SolutionsHow it’s SoldOur ResultsDeliveryContact UsBlogPrivacy PolicyFAQ