See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

CD3 Mutation Causes New Type of Immunodeficiency

CD3-zeta mutation discovered in boy with T-cell immunodeficiency

WEDNESDAY, May 3 (HealthDay News) -- A recessive mutation in a subunit of the T-cell receptor-CD3 complex can cause a previously unrecognized type of immunodeficiency, according to a case report in the May 4 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Frederic Rieux-Laucat, Ph.D., of Hopital Necker in Paris, France, and colleagues examined the case of a boy with severe primary immunodeficiency. At 4 months of age, the boy presented with erythroderma, protracted diarrhea and pulmonary abscesses, and had numerous infections over the next two years.

The researchers found that the patient's T-cell counts were very low and that the patient had a homozygous mutation in CD3-zeta, one of the four subunits of the T-cell receptor-CD3 complex. The germline homozygous Q70X mutation was found in about 90 percent of T cells, while the remaining 10 percent had a germline Q70X mutation plus one of three somatic mutations on the other allele that allowed the production of close to normal levels of T-cell receptor-CD3 complex. The boy was treated with a bone marrow transplant from the mother, which corrected the immunodeficiency.

"In summary, we describe a form of T-cell immunodeficiency related to a recessive mutation of the CD3-zeta gene," Rieux-Laucat and colleagues conclude. "This observation adds to the reported variability in deficiencies of the various CD3 subunits."

Abstract
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Editorial

Physician's Briefing

HealthDay

HealthDay is the world’s largest syndicator of health news and content, and providers of custom health/medical content.

Consumer Health News

A health news feed, reviewing the latest and most topical health stories.

Professional News

A news feed for Health Care Professionals (HCPs), reviewing latest medical research and approvals.