Two U.K. Children Develop Toxic Shock from Foot Blisters

Blisters caused by wearing new soccer boots were culture-positive for S. aureus

FRIDAY, June 9 (HealthDay News) -- In two cases in the United Kingdom, children developed toxic shock syndrome (TSS) from relatively minor skin trauma caused by blisters from new soccer boots, according to a report published in the June 10 issue of BMJ.

C. Mark Taylor, of Birmingham Children's Hospital in the U.K., and colleagues report that in the first case, a 13-year-old girl developed friction blisters on both heels and a day later developed fever, vomiting and lethargy. She was admitted to the hospital with a rash to the hands and feet, edema of the fingers and blood pressure of 106/46 mm Hg.

Over the next 48 hours her blood pressure and temperature fluctuated and there was evidence of a range of symptoms including worsening renal function and muscle weakness. Staphylococcus aureus with the toxic shock syndrome gene (TSS1) was cultured from the pus in her blisters.

In the second case, an 11-year-old boy had a blister caused by new soccer boots on his right heel and also developed symptoms of TSS, and pus samples from his heel tested positive for S. aureus.

"TSS may follow relatively trivial skin trauma, and in a patient with signs of the syndrome a thorough search for the source is essential," the authors write.

Abstract
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)

Physician's Briefing