October 8, 2009
Health Tip: Before You Become Pregnant
Make sure you take certain precautions
(HealthDay News) -- If you're thinking about starting a family, it's a good idea to practice healthy habits before you become pregnant.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists offers this pre-conception advice:
- Schedule a visit with your doctor to ask questions and find out about any potential risks.
- Eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise.
- Make sure you're not overweight.
- Take a vitamin that contains folic acid.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and illicit drug use.
- If you have any chronic health problems (such as diabetes or high blood pressure), try to get them under control before pregnancy. Speak with your doctor about how disease management would change during pregnancy.