(HealthDay News) -- Bringing a new baby into your home where your family pet is already settled can be an adjustment for your furry family members.
The American Pregnancy Association lists these suggestions to help prepare your pet for the smooth arrival of your new baby:
- Address issues now that you think may cause problems when the baby arrives.
- Try establishing new routines before the baby arrives so that the pet is already adjusted to your change in activities.
- If you have a dog, teach him which toys are for him, and which are off-limits.
- Understand that your pet may be jealous of the attention you give to the baby, so make sure that you give him plenty of love and affection, too.
- Never leave your baby alone in the room with a dog -- make sure someone always supervises them together.
- Talk to your veterinarian about ways to make these changes easier for your pet.