April 10, 2019
Health Tip: Using an AED
(HealthDay News) -- Automated external defibrillators can save lives during sudden cardiac arrest, says the Red Cross.
For children aged 8 or older and adults, bystanders can follow these AED steps after calling 9-1-1:
- Turn on the AED and follow the prompts.
- Open the person's shirt and wipe the bare chest dry.
- Attach the AED pads.
- Make sure no one is touching the person.
- Push the analyze button.
- If the AED recommends delivering a shock, ensure no one is touching the person again.
- Once clear, press the shock button.
- Begin CPR after delivering the shock and continue following the AED's prompts.