May 7, 2013
Health Tip: Give Your Kitchen a Daily Cleaning
Clean counters well
(HealthDay News) -- Any kitchen can be a breeding ground for germs, so it's important to give yours a thorough cleaning every day.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice:
- Using hot, soapy water, thoroughly clean the counter and other work surfaces each day to clean spills and food particles.
- Keep non-food items such as mail, lunch bags and purses away from the kitchen counter.
- Thoroughly wash the counter before preparing food.
- Make sure all dishes and cookware are thoroughly cleaned in hot, soapy water and rinsed well.
- Frequently swap dish towels and rags for clean ones. Wash these items in the hot cycle of your washing machine and thoroughly dry them.
- Wash sponges in a water/bleach solution or throw them away.
- Regularly clean appliances, including the inside of the microwave.