July 1, 2015
Health Tip: Pack Food and Water for Camping
Suggestions for safe storage
(HealthDay News) -- There's often no getting around packing food and water for a camping trip. But make sure you pack the right stuff properly to help prevent food-borne illness.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- Store food in waterproof, tightly-sealed containers, and store inside an insulated cooler.
- Frequently wash cooking surfaces and hands with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren't available.
- Separate foods that are cooked or raw.
- Thoroughly cook any food to its recommended temperature.
- Chill any leftovers as soon as possible.