December 23, 2014
Health Tip: Preparing Fruit and Veggies
Make sure they're safe
(HealthDay News) -- Preparing fresh fruit and vegetables isn't always as simple as peeling and eating. Many require preparation to get rid of harmful bacteria and pesticides.
The Home Food Safety website offers this advice:
- Just before eating any fresh vegetable or fruit, rinse with cool tap water. Do this even with fruit that must be peeled.
- Peel and discard the outer leaves of a head of lettuce.
- Inspect produce for any bruises and remove any bad areas.
- Use a clean cloth to dry produce before eating or cooking.
- Use a separate cutting board than is used for meat.
- Cook raw sprouts before eating.