November 19, 2003
A safety guide for motorcycle passengers
(HealthDayNews) -- Before you invite someone to hop on the back of your motorcycle, offer instructions on how to ride safely, advises the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center:
Your passenger should:
- Mount the motorcycle after you've started the engine and have the bike pointed in the right direction.
- Sit as far forward as possible without crowding you.
- Hold firmly to your waist, hips or belt.
- Keep both feet on the pegs at all times.
- Keep legs away from the muffler.
- Remain directly behind you, looking over your shoulder in turns.