December 8, 2003
Tips for safe candle burning
(HealthDayNews) -- If your holiday decorations include candles, be sure to light them safely and according to manufacturers' instructions.
The U.S. National Candle Association offers these tips:
- Don't burn candles on or near anything that can catch fire.
- Extinguish all candles before leaving a room or before going to sleep.
- Trim candlewicks to an inch each time before you light them.
- Keep burning candles away from open windows, vents or air currents.
- Don't touch or move a votive or container candle while the wax is liquid.
- Don't extinguish candles with water. Water can cause the hot wax to spatter and glass containers to break.
- Place candles at least three inches apart from one another.