(HealthDay News) -- Camping is a fun family activity, and a great way to enjoy the outdoors. But parents should teach their children about what to do if they get lost.
The Nemours Foundation offers these parental reminders:
- Make sure kids remember landmarks during a hike and at the campsite.
- Practice turning around and looking behind you during a hike to become familiar with the area you've just passed.
- If lost, make sure your child knows to stay put and remain calm.
- Have everyone carry a cell phone, assuming there is local reception.
- If there is no local cell phone service, make sure children wear a whistle that can be heard from a long distance.