Health Tip: Electrical Safety
(HealthDay News) -- Charging your laptop and plugging in the coffeemaker may be second nature. But when dealing with electricity, the National Fire Protection Association urges people to keep safety in mind.
The NFPA provides electrical safety advice for consumers:
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- Only use one heat-producing appliance plugged into the same outlet at a time.
- Do not use extension cords and plug strips for major appliances.
- Consider installing AFCIs and GFCIs in your home.
- Do not run electrical cords across doorways or under carpets.