May 24, 2004
Health Tip: Fire Safety in a Camper
Keep a fire extinguisher by the exit door
(HealthDayNews) -- If your ideal weekend getaway includes hitting the road in a camper, make sure you take the proper fire safety precautions.
The Shriner's Hospital offers these tips:
- Use only electrically operated lights in trailers.
- Keep cooking and heating equipment in safe condition.
- Check and maintain gas connections and fume vents.
- Keep combustibles away from cooking and heating equipment.
- Keep a fire extinguisher by the trailer exit door.
- Develop a fire escape plan with your travelers.
- Before going to bed, extinguish all smoking materials, then soak them in water.