December 25, 2014
Health Tip: Like Lighting Candles? Do it Safely
Don't burn candles while asleep
(HealthDay News) -- If you enjoy burning candles, be sure to follow basic safety rules to help prevent fires.
The National Fire Protection Association offers these suggestions:
- Extinguish candles before going to bed or leaving a room. Don't burn candles in rooms where someone may sleep.
- Make sure any candle is at least 12 inches away from anything that may catch fire. Use a candle on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Make sure no loose clothing or hair is near the candle.
- Use sturdy candle holders to prevent tipping, and don't allow a candle to burn all the way down.
- Don't burn candles where oxygen is being used.
- Consider flameless candles.
- During a power outage, skip candles and use flashlights.