November 26, 2013
Health Tip: Practice Fire Safety During the Holidays
Keep flammable items away from children
(HealthDay News) -- With candles, dry trees and wreaths scattered throughout the home, the holidays pose an increased risk of fire.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission offers this advice for a safer holiday season:
- Make sure children can't reach candles, matches or lighters.
- Don't smoke near any flammable decorations, don't burn evergreen branches in the fireplace and don't light candles near evergreen trees.
- Practice an emergency fire plan for your home, making sure every member of the family knows the plan.
- Avoid loosely-fitting clothing (especially sleeves) around candles, fireplaces and other fire sources.
- Watch for any potential fire hazards, and move to reduce risk.