December 22, 2009
Health Tip: Prevent Falls While Decking the Halls
Stay safe during holiday decorating
(HealthDay News) -- Holiday decorating often requires the use of a stepstool or ladder, either of which can lead to a fall.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions to avoid falls while decorating for the holidays:
- Decorate first, drink after. Don't attempt to do any decorating during or after drinking alcohol.
- Don't use a bigger stepstool or ladder than you need.
- Before using it, make sure the stepstool or ladder is in good shape with no loose or missing parts.
- Make sure the ladder or stepstool is on a flat, sturdy surface.
- Wear sturdy shoes with tied laces.
- When attempting to move or hang any large or heavy object, ask someone to help you.