April 15, 2014
Health Tip: Preventing Stairway Falls
Make sure stairs are well-lit and clear of clutter
(HealthDay News) -- Stairways and falling down seem to go hand-in-hand, but there are things you can do to help keep you on your toes.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these stairway safety tips:
- Never let clutter pile up on stairs.
- Repair any uneven, broken or loose steps.
- Make sure a light is installed over the stairway with a switch at both the top and bottom. If the bulb is burned out and you are unable to change it, ask a friend or loved one to do it.
- If your stairs have carpeting, make sure it is firmly in place, with no tears or loose spots.
- Make sure handrails are secured to the wall on both sides of the stairs.