See What HealthDay Can Do For You
Contact Us

Health Tip: Putting Out a Grease Fire

Never use water

(HealthDay News) -- A grease fire can quickly ignite in the kitchen and spread to other parts of the home, especially when someone's forgotten that there's something cooking on the stove.

If a grease fire starts in your kitchen, the U.S. Department of Energy warns that you should never try to douse the fire with water. Water will cause the grease to splatter and the fire to spread.

Also, never attempt to carry a burning pan outside the home, as you risk burning yourself and spreading the fire. Instead, try to cover the pan with a lid to suffocate the flames.

Another option is to soak the fire with a large quantity of baking soda.

If the flames are high and getting out of control, call 911 and leave the home immediately.

Consumer News
undefined
undefinedundefined