Health Tip: Safe Use of Candles

Help prevent home fires

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- Many people enjoy burning candles to enhance their home's cozy atmosphere. But candles can be a fire hazard if not used correctly.

The City of Fairfax, Virginia, offers these candle safety tips:

  • Never leave a room with a candle still burning.
  • Light a candle in an area far from flammable materials, such as drapes, bedding, furniture, paper or wallpaper.
  • Make sure that a burning candle can't be reached by children or pets.
  • Only burn a candle that is in a sturdy, non-flammable base.
  • Keep the candle wick trimmed to about one-quarter of an inch.
  • Don't burn candles right next to each other, near doors or windows, or on a surface that may catch fire or melt from the heat.
  • Throw a candle away when the wax is down to about 2 inches from the base.
  • Don't use a candle that has flammable materials (such as twigs or pinecones) inside the wax.

--

Last Updated: