April 14, 2008
Health Tip: Tornado Safety
Suggestions to protect yourself
(HealthDay News) -- If you live in an area that's prone to tornadoes, you should know how to prepare for these destructive storms.
Here are suggestions to help you stay safe, courtesy of the National Center for Atmospheric Research:
- Head to a basement or storm cellar, staying away from any windows. Protect yourself under a piece of strong, sturdy furniture, away from room corners that attract debris.
- If you don't have a basement, go to an inner hallway, bathroom or other interior room, preferably one without windows.
- Use your arms to cover your head, neck and face.
- If you are in a car or mobile home, get out immediately and find safer shelter.
- If you are outside, seek shelter inside a sturdy building. If this isn't possible, find a ditch or other low-lying area.