October 27, 2008
Health Tip: Use Tools Safely
Help prevent accidents and injury
(HealthDay News) -- When working with hand tools, it's important to keep safety in mind.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions to reduce your risk of injury:
- Make sure you know which tools are appropriate for each job.
- Keep your tools clean and in good condition, and maintain them according to the maker's instructions.
- Unplug and turn off any power tool before performing maintenance or changing a part.
- Wear clothing that can't get caught, and always use protective gear.
- Use any guards and shields that come with the tools.
- Store all tools safely and out of the reach of children.
- If using an electrical adapter, never cut the three-prong plug off. And never use a two-prong adapter with a three-prong tool.