November 27, 2003
Taking the Danger Out of Internet Dating
Verify the information people provide
(HealthDayNews) -- Online dating sites have become almost as trendy as popular singles bars. At both venues, what you "see" is often not what you get.
The University of Florida Police Department offers these safety tips for Internet dating:
- Don't disclose your home address or telephone number to someone you meet on line.
- Try confirm the information provided by potential suitors.
- Even if you arrange to meet, you should still withhold your surname and address.
- Make sure you meet in a busy, public place.
- If you can, bring along a friend for the first meeting.
- Tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back.
- Initially, don't go home with your date, and don't accept a ride.