November 21, 2003
What to Do in a Blackout
Avoid candles for emergency lighting
(HealthDayNews) -- Know what to do in the event of a blackout with these tips from the American Red Cross of Rhode Island:
- Only use a flashlight, not candles, for emergency lighting.
- Turn off electrical equipment you were using when the power went out.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer.
- Don't run a generator inside a home or garage.
- If you use a generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.